- Posted by Sarah Swiston
- On March 8, 2019
- Domestic Violence, International Women's Day, IWD2019
WINGS Recognizes International Women’s Day
March 8th is International Women’s Day. Celebrated for over a century, the holiday celebrates the social, cultural, economic, and political achievements of women. While recognizing these contributions, many people use this day to highlight the need for gender equality.
International Women’s Day continues to draw attention to the importance of women around the world.
Started by the Suffragettes, the day of reflection and celebration is driven by ten core values: Justice, Dignity, Hope, Equality, Collaboration, Tenacity, Appreciation, Respect, Empathy, and Forgiveness.
Last year 70% of those WINGS served were females.
Today WINGS recognizes International Women’s Day and how it relates to the agency mission to provide housing, integrated services, education, and advocacy to end domestic violence.
A new beginning is what WINGS works every day to help clients achieve … one free from domestic violence, one where their rights are embraced.
We hope everyone can take time out from their day, to honor, encourage, and reflect on the women who have shaped their lives,” Shelley Welch, WINGS Senior Manager of Annual Fund Giving shares.
From all of us at WINGS, Happy International Women’s Day!
Looking for Ways to Celebrate?:
- In many countries, it is common for men to give flowers or small gifts to important women in their lives.
- Consider thanking an important woman in your life with a call or note.
- Share a post on social media about International Women’s Day and use the hashtags: #BreakTheAbuseCycle, #IWD2019, #BalanceForBetter
- Consider honoring a special woman in your life by making a donation to WINGS in her name. Give the gift of empowerment, by honoring a woman who has empowered you.
Welcome to WINGS new blog! Thank you for your interest. Check back for more articles about our mission to provide housing, integrated services, education, and advocacy to end domestic violence.